OK, so I’m not exactly what you would call “athletic”. While I play tennis, it is very much “social” tennis and the more intense rallies tend to be the banter around whether Nina should choose Patrick or Adam on Offspring.
But here I am finding myself preparing for a “fun” run. The Age Run Melbourne no less. The event started 12 years ago and you may also know is as the Run to the ‘G.
I love that this is a really inclusive event, catering to skill levels from the Half-marathon for hard-core running enthusiasts through to the 5km run/walk for people like, well, um, me. Plus, should you want to add some warm and fuzzies to your runners high, you can raise funds for any charity you want through Everyday Hero.
So how does one begin to train for such a feat with just over a week to go?
Is this an excuse to carbo load and dine at il Solito Posto every night of the week?
Do I take my weekly view of Offspring to the gym and watch it from the treadmill? (are you noticing a theme here? Well it IS filmed in Melbourne!)
Do I deck myself head to toe in an uber chic uber sleek 2XU running outfit that not only smooth all my lumps and bumps making me aerodynamic, but also would give the latest Spiderman a run for his money in the super hero sex appeal stakes..?
I’m going to answer yes to all of the above. Should you wish to join me in this great event, you’ll need to sign up online by Wednesday 11 July (you can also sign up on the day). And follow my handy training advice.
• Sign up! Here
• Gear up!
Here is a gallery of my favourite pieces of running gear in stores at the moment:
• Train up! Running Fit run training sessions Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday, so there’s still time to get into the zone.
• HAVE FUN!
• Forget to wear a sports bra –years doing PR for various lingerie brands has taught me this: once you damage your Coopers ligament, you’ll get ‘National Geographic boobs’.
• Expect to cane the half marathon if you haven’t run for a while, if ever.
• Wear a full face of make up when running – trust me, it melts.
• Wear see through running tights or go out to celebrate after the event still wearing said running tights. Erica says no to leggings as pants.
The Age Run Melbourne, from 7am Sunday 15 July